Corporate responsibility is now high on national and international agendas. Yet 3M has long held the belief that reputation depends not solely on our financial performance but also on the way we run our business. In 1975, 3M was the first major manufacturing company actively to address environmental issues and, as with our drive for innovation, we involved employees through our benchmark programme Pollution Prevention Pays.
We believe we have a sound record of achievement in corporate responsibility but continually strive to improve our performance and address the ongoing challenges and opportunities. We are committed to sustainable development through a proactive approach to environmental protection, social responsibility and strong economic progress.
Vision & Values
Our vision is to be the most innovative enterprise and our customers' preferred supplier. Innovation applies not just to our products but also to our whole business approach, encompassing social and environmental issues.
Everything we do is underpinned by our Corporate Values and our day-to-day actions are guided by our Business Conduct Manual.
3M's approach to corporate responsibility and our sustainability policies and practices are directly linked to our four fundamental corporate values:
- Provide investors with an attractive return through sustained, quality growth
- Satisfy customers with superior quality, value and service
- Respect our social and physical environment
- Be a company employees are proud to be part of.
Our Sustainability Strategies
3M's strategies for sustainability encompass the pursuit of customer satisfaction and commercial success within a framework of environmental, social and economic values.
- Meeting society's and 3M's expectations for environmental improvement:
- utilising 3M’s Environmental Health and Safety Management System
- employing Life Cycle Management to continuously improve the environmental, health and safety impact of our products and processes
- making pollution prevention pay through development of new technologies and products.
- Meeting employee and community needs as a socially responsible company:
- attracting and retaining a diverse and talented work force
- supporting continuous learning and knowledge sharing
- supporting communities where we operate.
- Driving 3M’s future economic success through corporate performance initiatives:
- improving quality through a business improvement process called Six Sigma
- prioritising to invest resources in our biggest and best opportunities through 3M Acceleration of high growth, sustainable products
- using the Web for greater company and customer savings and benefits through eProductivity
- sourcing for purchasing products and services at more competitive prices
- standardising corporate services at competitive costs through global business processes.